Charges Pending After Shots Fired on Almond St. in Toccoa

Charges are pending against a Toccoa man after he allegedly fired at a vehicle Thursday in the city limits.

Toccoa Police Chief Tim Jarrell said it started just after noon Thursday when officers responded to Almond Street to a report of shots being fired.

“Upon our arrival, the first officer on scene made contact with two ladies who were sitting in a red pick-up truck and they told the officer that they had been shot at,” said Jarrell.

According to Jarrell, police can confirm that three shots were fired with a small-caliber handgun that hit the vehicle that the women were in.

“No one was shot,” said Jarrell. “However, one of the ladies did receive minor abrasions because of shrapnel-related impact on the vehicle. One round hit the door. One round hit the doorpost and one round went through the side window visor.”

Jarrell said the women identified the shooter as 55-year-old Glen Adams, Jr. of Almond Street in Toccoa.

The chief went on to say that Adams had run back inside his home with the gun, so police and Stephens County Sheriff’s Office deputies closed down Almond Street and set up a perimeter around the home.

In addition, the Toccoa Police Department Tactical Team responded to the scene.

Jarrell said Adams remained inside his home for about an hour until surrendering at about 1:15 p.m.

“(Stephens County) Sheriff (Randy) Shirley made contact with Mr. Adams by telephone,” said Jarrell. “After a lengthy conversation with him, he was able to get Mr. Adams to surrender. When he surrendered, our tactical team took him into custody.”

Jarrell said police continue to investigate the case to try to figure out exactly what caused it all to take place.

“The two young ladies and Mr. Adams are known acquaintances,” said Jarrell. “They know each other, so this is not random. What we do know is one of the ladies is Mr. Adams’ girlfriend.”

According to Jarrell, Adams was taken to Stephens County Hospital after surrendering for treatment of medical issues and injuries that existed prior to Thursday’s incident.

Jarrell said the woman who suffered the minor abrasions was treated and released without being transported to the hospital.