Man Dies On Lake Hartwell Over Weekend

By MJ Kneiser, WLHR Radio, Lavonia

An autopsy will be performed today in Oconee County, South Carolina on the body of a Georgia man who died on Lake Hartwell over the weekend.

It happened Saturday afternoon near the Interstate 85 bridge and the Harbor Light Marina in Hart County.

Georgia Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Officer Craig Fulgum said a group was operating a pontoon boat near the Harbor Light Marina on their way back from a weekend camping trip when one of the passengers fell off the boat.

“There were four individuals on a pontoon boat,” Fulgum said. “Our victim was sitting on the front right side of the boat as they were headed towards the I-85 bridge.  He fell out of the boat and never resurfaced.”

According to Fulgum, others on the pontoon boat tried to find the victim in the water, but could not locate him and called 911.

He went on to say the Georgia DNR, along with the Hart County Sheriff’s Department, arrived within minutes.

“The incident occurred basically in the middle of the lake right between Georgia and South Carolina,” Fulgum said. “After getting the location more exactly, it was determined it actually happened in South Carolina so we notified the appropriate authorities.”

Fulgum said the case was turned over to the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, but Georgia DNR, along with Oconee County, South Carolina EMS, Hart County EMS, and Elbert County EMS all assisted in the search.

He said divers searched until about 11 p.m. Saturday and then brought in high-tech equipment to try to find the victim on Sunday morning.

“We brought in sonar equipment from our DNR Gainesville office, along with an operator,” Fulgum said. “Within about 20 minutes we located Mr. Wolfe. We sent Oconee County, SCEMS divers down to the site and he was recovered at approximately 10:30 a.m. Sunday.”

Authorities have identified the victim as 23-year-old Logan U. Wolfe of Richmond Hill, Georgia.

Fulgum said Wolfe was found about 100 feet from where he fell into the lake in about 55 feet of water.

The South Carolina DNR continues to investigate the case.